From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] to mail or not to mail
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:14:07
1 Antoine wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I am trying to get php to send an email and am completely lost. It seems
4 > as though I had it working on an mdk box at work today, cos I got the
5 > messages on my yahoo account, but now I am trying to set up a similar
6 > thing at home I am getting nowhere. I have never done anything apart
7 > from setting up pop/smtp servers in gui mail clients and once in a
8 > networking class we sent an email via telnet.
9 > Having done the extremely simple cl mail sending I was under the
10 > impression that this would be simple!
11 > I just can't work out why it is so difficult... first of all ssmtp was
12 > blocking everything. So I uninstall and install postfix. I try to get
13 > postfix going but get lots of abusive messages about it not liking
14 > certain parameters (the default php ones). Now I read the ssmtp man page
15 > and ask myself - why shouldn't this work? All I want to do is send a
16 > simple little email - if telnet can do it then this can...
17 > Now I reinstall ssmtp and nothing is working. From mutt, sendmail (see
18 > below) and the php script I get the below.
19 >
20 > tux ~ # sendmail antt@localhost
21 > hithere
22 >
23 > sendmail: Cannot open mail:25
24 >
25 > I don't want to do ANYTHING but have php send emails. I don't really
26 > care about security (for the moment) and really just want it to work
27 > without thinking about it! Can someone give me some advice?
28
29 Stick with ssmtp as you don't need a full MTA. You'll need to configure
30 ssmtp as it needs a relay host to actually send any email. That'll
31 lickly be your ISP mail server.
32
33 sendmail antt@localhost is a bad test because ssmtp is not able to
34 deliver locally. ssmtp is realyy just a sendmail work a like binary that
35 can be used from the commandline.
36
37 kashani
38 --