From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:16:13
1 Am Sonntag, 7. Februar 2010 schrieb Mark Knecht:
2
3 > Hi Willie,
4 > OK - it turns out if I start fdisk using the -u option it show me
5 > sector numbers. Looking at the original partition put on just using
6 > default values it had the starting sector was 63
7
8 Same here.
9
10 > - probably about the worst value it could be.
11
12 Hm.... what about those first 62 sectors?
13 I bought this 500GB drive for my laptop recently and did a fresh partitioning
14 scheme on it, and then rsynced the filesystems of the old, smaller drive onto
15 it. The first two partitions are ntfs, but I believe they also use cluster
16 sizes of 4k by default. So technically I could repartition everything and
17 then restore the contents from my backup drive.
18
19 And indeed my system becomes very sluggish when I do some HDD shuffling.
20
21 > As a test I blew away that partition and
22 > created a new one starting at 64 instead and the untar results are
23 > vastly improved - down to roughly 20 seconds from 8-10 minutes. That's
24 > roughly twice as fast as the old 120GB SATA2 drive I was using to test
25 > the system out while I debugged this issue.
26
27 Though the result justifies your decision, I would have though one has to
28 start at 65, unless the disk starts counting its sectors at 0.
29 --
30 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
31 Programmers don’t die, they GOSUB without RETURN.