From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 01:20:21
1 On 9 Feb 2010, at 00:05, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > ...
3 >> - probably about the worst value it could be.
4 >
5 > Hm.... what about those first 62 sectors?
6
7 If I'm understanding correctly, then the drive will *always* have to
8 start at the 63rd sector, then swing back round and start reading a
9 1st sector, for every read larger than 1 byte.
10
11 This will result in a minimum of one extra rotation of the disk's
12 platter for every read, and instead of reading larger data
13 contiguously the effect will be like a *completely*, least-optimally
14 fragmented filesystem.
15
16 I may be mistaken on this - if that's the case I would love to be
17 corrected.
18
19 The results shown by Valmor & Mark are *two orders of magnitude
20 faster* when the partitions are correctly aligned.
21
22 Stroller.