From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Postfix Woes
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:06:30
1 On 4/25/06 8:47 PM, "Erik Westenbroek" <mistereastenstream@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > no, I have a gentoo box and a windows box behind a router, and I don't
4 > want anything to do with my ISP's mail. I just mentioned the router
5 > and windows box and all that good stuff to see if 192.168.1.0/24 was
6 > right, because I don't really know how CIDR works. I just fired up
7 > mutt from my gentoo box, tried to send an email, and postfix gave me a
8 > bunch of connection timed out to smtp.freeshell.org crap. I can
9 > recieve email just fine, I'll email root@××××××××××××××××××××.org, and
10 > I log in and go into mutt and voila it is there, but I can't send
11 > anything.
12 >
13 Okay, sorry, just trying to get the picture in my head. So you send a mail
14 from the gentoo box TO the same gentoo box, what happens? In other
15 words,you have a nonroot user "bob" and as root on that box you say "mail -s
16 test bob" and send it that way, what happens? Bear in mind, your isp might
17 block outgoing port 25 traffic except to it's servers. If that's the case,
18 you'll have to put their smtp server in as your gateway.
19
20 If you can send email from root on box to nonroot on box, make another
21 client (windows or not) use that box for smtp and send email to nonroot
22 users on box. If that works, we know smtp on that box is listening on
23 localhost and on other addresses, and is willing to accept email.
24
25 Then try telnet jolet.net 25
26 If you hang, your isp is blocking that traffic. Nothing you can do except
27 bitch and make them your gateway. My co-worker had the same problem with
28 sbc.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list