From: Malte Langermann <malte@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vixie cron
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:04:46
2 > hey all,
3 >
4 > Recently, I set up a local news server and want to fetch news by using
5 > vixie cron. For security, I want to drop root to news ( only news and
6 > root can run fetchnews). So I add one line in crontab by using
7 > "crontab -e":
8 >
9 > */5 * * * * news fetchnews
12 > Actually, I just follow the examples from previous lines, which are
15 > 0 * * * * root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly
16 > 1 3 * * * root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily
17 > 15 4 * * 6 root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.weekly
18 > 30 5 1 * * root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.monthly
19 > */10 * * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons &&
20 > /usr/sbin/run-crons
21 >
22 > But, vixie seem cannot tell the user name from command, every time it
23 > will send me an system email says that root/news command not find.
24 >
25 > Can anybody tell me why it is so? Does vixie support to specify the
26 > user who run the command. Thank you.
27
28 Whith "crontab -e" as root user, you edit the crontab for the root user, where all entries are run as root and you can't set
29 another name. Use "crontab -e -u news" instead.
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list