From: Ron Bickers <rbickers-list-gentoo-user@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: brettholcomb@×××××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SATA and RAID
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:31:19
1 On Thu September 22 2005 07:22 am, brettholcomb@×××××××××.net wrote:
2
3 > For RAID I'm running RAID10 on an existing SCSI system - two RAID1
4 > combined to a RAID0 but I'm open to better things.
5
6 I don't have any experience with RAID10, but I've read good things about it.
7
8 > Filesystem of choice is XFS but what did you find?
9
10 In my primitive tests, XFS showed good performance for really large files --
11 like raw video files in the gigabytes (as it was designed to do), but small
12 and "normal" file size performance is what I needed more and it wasn't
13 ideal. Earlier this year, I used XFS for several months on two servers and
14 I liked it. However, through a bizarre series of power problems, I found
15 parts of files wiped out with filler characters. That made me really
16 nervous so I dropped it.
17
18 I've had good stability with EXT3 in the past, but its performance wasn't
19 something to cheer about. Despite the problems I had with Red Hat Linux
20 support for ReiserFS a few years ago, I use it in most cases now. It has
21 been stable for a while and does a great job for what I need; and of course
22 I'm not using a Red Hat OS anymore. If you're happy with the performance,
23 there's no need to change, but it wouldn't hurt to try some tests of your
24 own while you're building a new server.
27 Ron
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list