From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:11:31
1 'evening, Neil.
2
3 On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:17:02PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 19:04:41 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > > I suppose that what I am about to say isn't really relevant, but it is
7 > > > unfortunate over the past year that people blamed udev specifically
8 > > > for this. It is true that it does things that don't work if /usr isn't
9 > > > mounted, but eudev does as well, since it is basically the same code.
10
11 > > Who else is there to blame? We are continually being told that a
12 > > separate /usr is "broken", as though this were some unfortunate act of
13 > > <insert your deity here>, much like an earthquake. This gets
14 > > patronising really quickly. (Please note, I'm NOT blaming you here. I
15 > > appreciate that you're as much victim as Dale or me or anyone else
16 > > round here.)
17
18 > It's evolution. Linux has for years been moving in this direction, now it
19 > has reached the point where the Gentoo devs can no longer devote the
20 > increasing time needed to support what has now become an edge case.
21
22 That's precisely the sort of patronising comment I was complaining of in
23 my previous paragraph. It isn't "evolution". It has been a decision of
24 somebody to move it. Who?
25
26 > > No, this breaking of separate /usr was done by some specific project,
27 > > some specific person, even, in a supreme display of incompetence,
28 > > malice, or arrogance. How come this project and this person have
29 > > managed to maintain such a low profile? There seems to have been some
30 > > sort of conspiracy to do this breakage in secret, each member of the
31 > > coven pushing the plot until the damage was irrevocable. Who was it?
32
33 > So which was it, one specific person or a coven of conspirators? This is
34 > open source, secret conspiracies don't really work well. If this really
35 > was such a bad move, do you really think the likes of Greg K-H would not
36 > have stepped in? Or is he a conspirator too?
37
38 I know not how many people were involved. Don't you think it noteworthy
39 that we on this group first learnt of the change when it had already
40 happened? I have no idea whether people like GK-H would have been aware
41 of it either.
42
43 > > > If you read flameeyes' blog post, you will get a better idea of what
44 > > > the issue involves. It is the entire boot process and how to deal
45 > > > with which software is considered critical for booting.
46
47 > > > There is no reason to rebuild your server; we aren't telling you you
48 > > > have to merge /usr into /. The only thing we are saying is that you
49 > > > will need to use an initramfs if you are going to keep them separate.
50
51 > > "Only"? ONLY??? You say that as though creating an initramfs were a
52 > > trifle, trivial, and of no moment.
53
54 > For an Ubuntu user, maybe that's true? For someone that feels comfortable
55 > compiling their own kernel and configuring the entire system by hand,
56 > running dracut or genkernel should not be too demanding. Even creating
57 > your own initramfs is hardly rocket science.
58
59 It may or may not be demanding for any particular administrator. It is
60 undoubtedly tedious and time consuming. Installing RAID and LVM2 were
61 (for me) also time consuming, but at least I got something worthwhile out
62 of them in the end. Creating an initramfs is a lot of work just to end
63 up in the same place.
64
65 > > Ah yes, the deficiencies of the kernel. It can only mount one file
66 > > system when it starts. It's incapable of mounting LVM2 systems (even
67 > > though it contains LVM2 code). It's incapable of mounting encrypted
68 > > partitions (even though it contains encryption code), ...... So because
69 > > of these holes, a system must either be constrained in it's makeup (as
70 > > mine is) or use an ugly hack. It can (still) mount RAID partitions, I
71 > > suppose.
72
73 > That's plain wrong. The kernel doesn't include LVM code, only the
74 > device mapper functions that LVM uses, It does include RAID code.
75
76 > > > I have a pretty simple setup, but I have been using an initramfs
77 > > > which I built some time ago with genkernel and I barely know it is
78 > > > there.
79
80 > > Until, after some update, it reminds you of its presence by not booting
81 > > your machine. That's the sort of excitement I can do without.
82
83 > Do you have any examples of this actually happening? Not "I heard a bloke
84 > down the pub talking about a mate of a mate who broke his system with an
85 > initramfs" but actual documented examples of how this can occur in normal
86 > use.
87
88 There have been several times in the past few years when precisely that
89 could have happened in Gentoo - the updating of the Baselayout in 2011,
90 the various shenanigans with udev, for example. Dale's former system
91 broke because of an initrd. I get nervous every time something like lvm
92 get updated.
93
94 > --
95 > Neil Bothwick