From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:38:03
1 On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:09:38 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > 'evening, Neil.
4
5 > > It's evolution. Linux has for years been moving in this direction,
6 > > now it has reached the point where the Gentoo devs can no longer
7 > > devote the increasing time needed to support what has now become an
8 > > edge case.
9 >
10 > That's precisely the sort of patronising comment I was complaining of in
11 > my previous paragraph.
12
13 In what way is it patronising?
14
15 > It isn't "evolution". It has been a decision of
16 > somebody to move it. Who?
17
18 It hasn't been a single decision. The situation has been developing for
19 some time, with each distro making its own decision. Most other distros
20 made the decision some time ago, The Gentoo devs have only recently
21 agreed that supporting that particular setup (separate /usr without an
22 initramfs) was not a good use of their time. The important point is it is
23 their time and therefore their decision.
24
25 > > > No, this breaking of separate /usr was done by some specific
26 > > > project, some specific person, even, in a supreme display of
27 > > > incompetence, malice, or arrogance. How come this project and this
28 > > > person have managed to maintain such a low profile? There seems to
29 > > > have been some sort of conspiracy to do this breakage in secret,
30 > > > each member of the coven pushing the plot until the damage was
31 > > > irrevocable. Who was it?
32 >
33 > > So which was it, one specific person or a coven of conspirators? This
34 > > is open source, secret conspiracies don't really work well. If this
35 > > really was such a bad move, do you really think the likes of Greg K-H
36 > > would not have stepped in? Or is he a conspirator too?
37 >
38 > I know not how many people were involved. Don't you think it noteworthy
39 > that we on this group first learnt of the change when it had already
40 > happened? I have no idea whether people like GK-H would have been aware
41 > of it either.
42
43 I think that is entirely the right time to learn of it. If you want to
44 know about the devs' discussions before reaching the decision, you
45 should read gentoo-dev. Until then it was a dev issue, now it is being
46 implemented it is a user issue.
47
48 > > > "Only"? ONLY??? You say that as though creating an initramfs were
49 > > > a trifle, trivial, and of no moment.
50 >
51 > > For an Ubuntu user, maybe that's true? For someone that feels
52 > > comfortable compiling their own kernel and configuring the entire
53 > > system by hand, running dracut or genkernel should not be too
54 > > demanding. Even creating your own initramfs is hardly rocket science.
55 >
56 > It may or may not be demanding for any particular administrator. It is
57 > undoubtedly tedious and time consuming.
58
59 I disagree, but then I have actually tried doing it.
60
61 > > > Until, after some update, it reminds you of its presence by not
62 > > > booting your machine. That's the sort of excitement I can do
63 > > > without.
64 >
65 > > Do you have any examples of this actually happening? Not "I heard a
66 > > bloke down the pub talking about a mate of a mate who broke his
67 > > system with an initramfs" but actual documented examples of how this
68 > > can occur in normal use.
69 >
70 > There have been several times in the past few years when precisely that
71 > could have happened in Gentoo - the updating of the Baselayout in 2011,
72 > the various shenanigans with udev, for example.
73
74 "Could have happened", I'll take that as a "no".
75
76 This whole discussion reminds me of a conversation I had with a senior
77 SUSE engineer earlier this year, someone of a similar age to myself. His
78 comment was along the lines of "I remember when Linux users wanted the
79 latest bleeding edge, now they complain every time something changes".
83 Neil Bothwick
84
85 A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance from Mom.