From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:09:34
1 Hello, Neil.
2
3 On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:37:50PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:09:38 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > > It's evolution. Linux has for years been moving in this direction,
7 > > > now it has reached the point where the Gentoo devs can no longer
8 > > > devote the increasing time needed to support what has now become an
9 > > > edge case.
10
11 > > That's precisely the sort of patronising comment I was complaining of in
12 > > my previous paragraph.
13
14 > In what way is it patronising?
15
16 It talks down to people. It insinuates that the readers don't have the
17 wherewithal to appreciate that they have been deliberately hurt by
18 _somebody_ rather than something "just happening"; that the idea of an
19 abstraction "moving" is any sort of justification for anything.
20
21 > > It isn't "evolution". It has been a decision of somebody to move it.
22 > > Who?
23
24 > It hasn't been a single decision.
25
26 Somebody, somewhere was the first person to decide to put early boot
27 software into /usr. Others may have followed him, sooner or later, but
28 there was a single person (or perhaps a conspiracy) that did this first.
29 Who? There was no public discussion of this momentous change, not that
30 I'm aware of. Why?
31
32 > > > > No, this breaking of separate /usr was done by some specific
33 > > > > project, some specific person, even, in a supreme display of
34 > > > > incompetence, malice, or arrogance. How come this project and
35 > > > > this person have managed to maintain such a low profile? There
36 > > > > seems to have been some sort of conspiracy to do this breakage in
37 > > > > secret, each member of the coven pushing the plot until the
38 > > > > damage was irrevocable. Who was it?
39
40 > > > So which was it, one specific person or a coven of conspirators?
41 > > > This is open source, secret conspiracies don't really work well. If
42 > > > this really was such a bad move, do you really think the likes of
43 > > > Greg K-H would not have stepped in? Or is he a conspirator too?
44
45 > > I know not how many people were involved. Don't you think it
46 > > noteworthy that we on this group first learnt of the change when it
47 > > had already happened? I have no idea whether people like GK-H would
48 > > have been aware of it either.
49
50 > I think that is entirely the right time to learn of it. If you want to
51 > know about the devs' discussions before reaching the decision, you
52 > should read gentoo-dev. Until then it was a dev issue, now it is being
53 > implemented it is a user issue.
54
55 Please be aware the change I was talking about was the decision to break
56 separate /usr, not the Gentoo devs' reaction to this breakage. Why did
57 we only become aware of the decision to break separate /usr after it was
58 too late to do anything about it? How could such a thing happen, if not
59 through conspiracy?
60
61 > > It [creating an initramfs] may or may not be demanding for any
62 > > particular administrator. It is undoubtedly tedious and time
63 > > consuming.
64
65 > I disagree, but then I have actually tried doing it.
66
67 I tried, and gave up after a couple of hours. It was a challenge, but
68 I've grown out of being fascinated by challenges for their own sake.
69 Then I installed dracut, only to find it won't work on my system. I
70 haven't tried genkernel. In the end, with regrets, I took /usr out of my
71 LVM area and put it into a new partition which became the root partition.
72
73 > This whole discussion reminds me of a conversation I had with a senior
74 > SUSE engineer earlier this year, someone of a similar age to myself.
75 > His comment was along the lines of "I remember when Linux users wanted
76 > the latest bleeding edge, now they complain every time something
77 > changes".
78
79 The particular change is not progress, it's not a new feature, it's not
80 something useful for users. It's pure breakage for no good reason. If
81 this is what "bleeding edge" now means, no surprise that people complain
82 about it.
83
84 > --
85 > Neil Bothwick
86
87 > A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance from Mom.
90 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).