From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:31:14
1 On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:07:44 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > Hello, Neil.
4 > > In what way is it patronising?
5 >
6 > It talks down to people. It insinuates that the readers don't have the
7 > wherewithal to appreciate that they have been deliberately hurt by
8 > _somebody_ rather than something "just happening"; that the idea of an
9 > abstraction "moving" is any sort of justification for anything.
10
11 That only applies if you start from the position that this is a
12 deliberate action against users, it's not, it's just the way the Linux
13 ecosystem has developed. You call my attitude patronising, but from my
14 viewpoint your attitude is paranoid.
15
16 > Somebody, somewhere was the first person to decide to put early boot
17 > software into /usr. Others may have followed him, sooner or later, but
18 > there was a single person (or perhaps a conspiracy) that did this first.
19
20 Not necessarily. It most likely happened that it happened the other way
21 round, that and increasing amount of software already in /usr became
22 important during early boot.
23
24 > Who? There was no public discussion of this momentous change, not that
25 > I'm aware of. Why?
26
27 It was discussed to death on this list several times, going back at
28 least a year.
29
30 > > I think that is entirely the right time to learn of it. If you want to
31 > > know about the devs' discussions before reaching the decision, you
32 > > should read gentoo-dev. Until then it was a dev issue, now it is being
33 > > implemented it is a user issue.
34 >
35 > Please be aware the change I was talking about was the decision to break
36 > separate /usr, not the Gentoo devs' reaction to this breakage. Why did
37 > we only become aware of the decision to break separate /usr after it was
38 > too late to do anything about it? How could such a thing happen, if not
39 > through conspiracy?
40
41 Ignorance? Not paying attention? This comes as no surprise to those that
42 read this list. Users of other distros aren't even affected by it as they
43 have been using initramfs/initrds for many years.
44
45 > > I disagree, but then I have actually tried doing it.
46 >
47 > I tried, and gave up after a couple of hours. It was a challenge, but
48 > I've grown out of being fascinated by challenges for their own sake.
49 > Then I installed dracut, only to find it won't work on my system. I
50 > haven't tried genkernel. In the end, with regrets, I took /usr out of
51 > my LVM area and put it into a new partition which became the root
52 > partition.
53
54 Why didn't you try genkernel? That has been creating Gentoo initrds for
55 longer than I have been using Gentoo. But things would be easier if the
56 kernel supported LVM.
57
58 > > This whole discussion reminds me of a conversation I had with a senior
59 > > SUSE engineer earlier this year, someone of a similar age to myself.
60 > > His comment was along the lines of "I remember when Linux users wanted
61 > > the latest bleeding edge, now they complain every time something
62 > > changes".
63 >
64 > The particular change is not progress, it's not a new feature, it's not
65 > something useful for users. It's pure breakage for no good reason. If
66 > this is what "bleeding edge" now means, no surprise that people complain
67 > about it.
68
69 The comment wasn't about early boot, I think we were talking abut Unity
70 at the time, but it seems relevant. Now Unity fits in with your
71 arguments, a single organisation developed it and sprang t upon their
72 users without warning. The same is not true of the usr/initramfs
73 situation.
77 Neil Bothwick
78
79 Would a fly without wings be called a walk?