From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 16:11:02
1 Am 29.09.2013 14:07, schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
2
3 <snipped everything because of stupid 'conspiracy' talk>
4
5 there was no conspiracy and there will never be one to break seperate /usr.
6
7 In fact seperate /usr works just fine.
8
9 You just need an initrd/initramfs.
10
11 Other distros are using those for ages. So for them putting something
12 'essential' into /usr was no problem. It was not their fault that gentoo
13 users hate this things so much. From REDHATs or SuSEs perspective
14 seperate /usr is not a problem. Putting
15 lvm/bluetooth/mdraid/whateverthefuckyoumightneed there was and is not a
16 problem too. Thanks to initrds&co. They are using them for AGES and it
17 works fine.
18
19 See? No conspiracy needed. It just happened that YOUR use case of
20 seperate /usr + no initrd has become so arcane and rare that pretty much
21 nobody needs or wants to worry about fringe cases.
22
23 Would you be fine with a 40% decrease in performance just to optimally
24 support some 3 machines worldwide architecture? Certainly not. And that
25 is not a conspiracy either.
26
27 I dislike them, because they are another step to be taken on updates.
28 But if I was so dumb to create a seperate /usr - well I wouldn't
29 complain about the initrd and just go with the rest.