From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 22:06:33
1 On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 06:10:46PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
2
3 > From REDHATs or SuSEs perspective seperate /usr is not a problem.
4 > Putting lvm/bluetooth/mdraid/whateverthefuckyoumightneed there was
5 > and is not a problem too. Thanks to initrds&co.
6
7 And if I wanted to run bleeping Redhat Fedora, I'd run bleeping Redhat
8 Fedora. I want GNU/Linu-x, not GNOME/Lenna-x.
9
10 > They are using them for AGES and it works fine.
13 Seivers broke udev... https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/303
14
15 * Everybody's single-NIC machine came up with eth0 for AGES, until Kay
16 Seivers broke udev. And calling the new setup "predictable" is
17 George Orwell 1984 doublespeak. Let's see you walk up to an unknown
18 machine and "predict" what the NIC is going to come up as.
19
20 * Separate /usr worked fine for AGES, until... Do you see a pattern
21 developing here?
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications