From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Atheros kernel driver and my wireless access point setup
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 00:42:11
1 >> What do you want to do with your accesspoint. You will need a bridge to a
2 >> wired network if you want your ap attached to that wired network. This is
3 >> quite usual though...
4 >> Without a bridge to a wired network, only the wlan systems are connected and
5 >> can not connect to your wired systems.
8 > That's no problem, I'm OK with keeping eth1 and wlan0 separate. Right
9 > now I just want to get wlan0 working. Do you know how to do that? I
10 > can't start net.wlan0 because it chokes on master mode, so I don't
11 > know how to specify an IP for the AP or how to fill shorewall's "loc"
12 > zone as that is normally filled by net.wlan0.
13 >
14 > - Grant
17 Leave INTERFACES blank. As you keep the networks seperated, hostapd does
18 not depend on any other devices.
19 wlan0 is initialized by hostapd. So you are good to go.
20 The accesspoint itself, so to say the wlan part does not have any IP
21 adress, at it is merely a connectionpoint for normal wlan systems. The
22 IP adress to your device however is defined by the other nics. In your
23 case eth1.
24 For the shorewall business, you have to tell, what you want to do with
25 shorewall exactely.
26 I dare say you have a wlan zone as your AP and a loc zone with eth1. As
27 i am using bridging i can not tell you if and how shorewall responds.
28 But if you want to keep eth1 an wlan0 seperate, what so you need
29 shorewall for?