From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Atheros kernel driver and my wireless access point setup
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:05:20
1 >>> What do you want to do with your accesspoint. You will need a bridge to a
2 >>> wired network if you want your ap attached to that wired network. This is
3 >>> quite usual though...
4 >>> Without a bridge to a wired network, only the wlan systems are connected
5 >>> and
6 >>> can not connect to your wired systems.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> That's no problem, I'm OK with keeping eth1 and wlan0 separate.  Right
10 >> now I just want to get wlan0 working.  Do you know how to do that?  I
11 >> can't start net.wlan0 because it chokes on master mode, so I don't
12 >> know how to specify an IP for the AP or how to fill shorewall's "loc"
13 >> zone as that is normally filled by net.wlan0.
14 >>
15 >> - Grant
19 > Leave INTERFACES blank. As you keep the networks seperated, hostapd does not
20 > depend on any other devices.
21 > wlan0 is initialized by hostapd. So you are good to go.
22 > The accesspoint itself, so to say the wlan part does not have any IP adress,
23 > at it is merely a connectionpoint for normal wlan systems. The IP adress to
24 > your device however is defined by the other nics. In your case eth1.
25
26 I don't have eth1 set up yet. For now I just want eth0 on the WAN and
27 wlan0 on the LAN. eth0 dhcp's from my ISP, but I need to specify a
28 local IP address for my LAN somewhere right?
29
30 > For the shorewall business, you have to tell, what you want to do with
31 > shorewall exactely.
32 > I dare say you have a wlan zone as your AP and a loc zone with eth1. As i am
33 > using bridging i can not tell you if and how shorewall responds.
34 > But if you want to keep eth1 an wlan0 seperate, what so you need shorewall
35 > for?
36
37 Since the AP system is also the router, I use shorewall for NAT, port
38 closing, port forwarding, and packet shaping. shorewall gives an
39 empty loc zone error if I don't have net.wlan0 started because wlan0
40 is the only loc interface.
41
42 - Grant