From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installed Gentoo on SSD - no bootable device
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:44:42
1 On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 06:37:00 -0600, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > My BIOS if from 1998 I think so it is not EFI.
4 > I don't think I'm suppose to be doing this EFI.
5 >
6 > "...UEFI (~EFI) is a firmware interface that is widespread on recent
7 > computers, especially those more recent than 2010. It is intended to
8 > replace the traditional BIOS firmware interface that is prevalent on
9 > earlier machines. "
10 >
11 > So think I should scrap the partition sda1 and sda2 and combine them
12 > into one partition and install grub (not grub2).
13
14 You need the BIOS boot partition, as described in the other thread, if
15 you are using a GPT partition table (and you should). I've no idea
16 whether legacy GRUB will handle this, but there's no point in starting
17 with dead software. Keep the BIOS boot partition and use GRUB2 but ignore
18 any advice referring to EFI.
19
20 EFI works completely differently, it does not need the BIOS boot
21 partition, but it does need /boot to be formatted with a FAT filesystem.
22
23 Most importantly, take a breath and step back. You seem to be diving it,
24 trying various options, without really gaining an understanding of what
25 you need to do before you start.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 War does not determine who is right -- only who is left.