From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installed Gentoo on SSD - no bootable device
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:36:58
1 On 09/05/14 09:04, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 21:46:14 -0600, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 >> >You need to mount /boot, and mount the EFI boot partition before
5 >> >installing grub2 using `grub2-install --target=x86_64-efi`.
6 >>
7 >> How do I mount EFI boot partition?
8 >> Is it the /dev/sda1 2M
9 >
10 >That's the BIOS compatibility partition. There appears to be some
11 >confusion here, does your hardware use EFI or is it traditional BIOS. The
12 >approaches are very different and all of the advice in this thread s for
13 >EFI but your previous posts made no mention of it.
16 >--
17 >Neil Bothwick
18 >
19 >Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%.
20
21 My BIOS if from 1998 I think so it is not EFI.
22 I don't think I'm suppose to be doing this EFI.
23
24 "...UEFI (~EFI) is a firmware interface that is widespread on recent computers, especially those more recent than 2010. It is intended to replace the traditional
25 BIOS firmware interface that is prevalent on earlier machines. "
26
27 So think I should scrap the partition sda1 and sda2 and combine them into one partition and install grub (not grub2).
30 Joseph