From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple Routes to the same Subnet
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:37:10
1 Thanks for your responses, all.
4 On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:30:22 -0800
5 kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
6
7 > First off don't assign separate IPs to each port on your four port
8 > card, bond them into a single interface. That will simplify your
9 > config and perform better.
10
11 Perhaps I will; that's not a bad idea. However, I will still have
12 another interface that is to handle non-NFS traffic. (The reason I
13 split it this way, by the way, is that NFS is the only network service
14 that might potentially be limited by bandwith.
15
16 > Second, what sort of routing are you doing? If all the clients are on
17 > the same subnet as the four port card you should not need routing.
18 > Additionally if they are on the same subnet you should not be limited
19 > by the speed of your gateway which may or may not be able to route at
20 > 4 Gb/s whereas your switch may actually have that sort of
21 > performaance. Are the clients on a separate subnet and if so can you
22 > put them on the same subnet?
23
24 No, they're all on the same subnet. Each of the 5 interfaces adds a
25 route to that subnet (no gateway, as you said, it's the same broadcast
26 domain) but the routes all have different metrics. The first such
27 route chosen is the one that gets all the traffic. The NFS server is
28 used primarily for Read access, so this routing problem does a pretty
29 good job mitigating any benefit of having so many interfaces.
30
31 Oh, by the way, this is 100-T, not Gigabit. Do I sound rich to
32 you : ) ?
33
34 So, let's say I bond the 4 together. Now I have 2 interfaces, a bond
35 and eth0. I still need to route through one or the other, so I still
36 have the problem.
37
38 I am reading about policy routing, which should be able to solve the
39 problem by allowing routing based on the source rather than the
40 destination. I will keep the lists informed...
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list