From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: what audio file format / container to play on Android.
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 20:49:40
1 On Wednesday 06 Jul 2016 16:07:17 Stroller wrote:
2 > > On 5 Jul 2016, at 16:54, wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > If you wanna put the audio data into another container without recoding
5 > > it, you can use for example something like that:
6 > >
7 > > ffmpeg -i filename.mp4 -acodec copy filename.m4a
8 >
9 > This has worked. Many thanks for your help.
10 >
11 > I did not actually expect this, as I thought .mp4 and .m4a were the same
12 > thing (see links below) and renaming the .mp4 to .m4a did not have any
13 > effect.
14
15 They are not exactly the same thing, in the sense that m4a ought to only have
16 an audio stream in it, but mp4 may have more streams (audio and video).
19 > ffmpeg did, however, seem to do no more than copy the stream (it took only a
20 > second or so), so presumably it has marked the container differently
21 > somehow. See attached, anyone who's interested.
22
23 If you notice youtube-dl used ffmpeg after it downloaded your file to fix
24 something in the aac bitstream, which it considered 'malformated':
25
26 [download] Destination: The Bronze Age Collapse, In Our Time - BBC Radio 4-
27 b07fl2qw.mp4
28 [download] 100% of 40.56MiB in 01:36
29 [ffmpeg] Fixing malformated aac bitstream in "The Bronze Age Collapse, In Our
30 Time - BBC Radio 4-b07fl2qw.mp4"
31
32 If you run ffprobe on the partly downloaded mp4 file before youtube-dl completes
33 and has a chance to use ffmpeg, you can compare its output with the 'fixed' mp4
34 file and then your own m4a audio extract to see what the differences might be.
35
36 > I appreciate the contributions of all who've replied,
37 >
38 > Stroller.
42 > [1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9412384/
43 > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14#.MP4_versus_.M4A