From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X configuration problem
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:47:56
1 On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 23:39 +0530, arnuld wrote:
2 > > did you forget to add these to /etc/make.conf?
3 >
4 > > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse synaptics"
5 > > VIDEO_CARDS="ati radeon vesa fbdev fglrx"
6 >
7 > Iain, it seems likee you have not read my 1st post, here is the
8 > relevent part of it:
9 >
10 > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
11 > VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx vesa via vga v4l"
12
13 oops, you're right, I didn't see that :) you spelt fglrx as flrx though
14 in your first post, but I see someone mentioned that already.
15
16 > BTW, what does "synaptics" do? and what do "ati radeon fbdev" do?
17
18 synaptics is the touchpad driver, and ati, radeon, and fbdev are all
19 video drivers. These were just my examples, I was really pointing out
20 the INPUT_DEVICES section, which you've pointed out is the same as mine.
21
22 > > you may use a different set of drivers of course. See google on these
23 > > for more info :)
24 >
25 > i tried google. it confused me even more.
26
27 ok, try these google searches:
28
29 INPUT_DEVICES VIDEO_CARDS site:http://www.gentoo.org
30 and
31 INPUT_DEVICES VIDEO_CARDS site:http://www.gentoo-wiki.org
32
33 > what is DRI & OpenGL
34 > replacing X window system?
35
36 replacing? not quite sure what you mean here...
37
38 > what does "mesa" has to do with "DRI"
39
40 Mesa is an open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification. [1]
41
42 > & why
43 > ATI RADEON search opens the links to AMD web-site
44
45 probably because ATI was bought by AMD not long ago, and the page you
46 visited doesn't exist anymore.
47
48 > & then they show me
49 > something like AMD 9600 series for Linux x86_64 ?
50
51 maybe because they're auto-redirect for non-existant linux related pages
52 goes here? some sort of semi-intelligent advertising?
53
54 > ?
55
56 !
57
58 OK, back to your issue. It looks like you have the right options in
59 make.conf. If your xorg.conf mouse section is the same as Dale's, then
60 it's the same as mine, so that should be fine (/dev/input/mice is ok).
61 I use the "kbd" driver, and so do you, so that looks fine.
62
63 That leaves the possibility that somehow the drivers still aren't
64 installed. Can you try this command (it wont "do" anything to your
65 system)
66
67 emerge -pv xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-keyboard
68
69 and then this one:
70
71 X -version
74 Hope you're getting somewhere!
75
76 [1] http://www.mesa3d.org/faq.html
80 Suggest you just sit there and wait till life gets easier.
83 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list