From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive screws
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:35:14
1 karl@××××××××.se wrote:
2 > Dale:
3 > ...
4 >> The size I bought was 6-32UNC x 1/8".
5 >> I'm not sure what the UNC means or if it matters.
6 > ...
7 >
8 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard
9 >
10 > If you had read my answer to your original question:
11 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/b0a1914dac2d0e985e7e1d66ada02f2b
12 > you'd know that by now.
13 >
14 > Regards,
15 > /Karl Hammar
21 I recall reading the reply.  Thing is, the first bag of screws I ordered
22 didn't have any size info only that they should fit a hard drive, SDD
23 and possibly a laptop, if there is any difference between a hard
24 drive/SDD going in a laptop as opposed to a desktop.  ;-)  On the second
25 order, I used the info from your reply to order another set of screws.
26 So the email was to confirm what was shared, although I couldn't recall
27 who shared it on the list earlier, was the correct size at least for
28 several hard drives I have laying around here.  Perhaps most hard drives
29 do follow some sort of standard after all.  :-)
30
31 So to recap, the info you provided was correct and my update was to
32 confirm that.  I sometimes do this sort of thing just in case it might
33 help others in the future.  After all, the first bag of screws wasn't
34 free and it turned out to be a waste of money and time unless I
35 eventually find a use for them, which may or may not happen.  I'm just
36 glad I finally got some screws for this since I'm tired of having to go
37 dig and even remove screws from other things to install new drives.  I
38 guess two screws will hold a hard drive in place in most cases.  I hope
39 because I have a few of those at the moment. o_O
40
41 Thanks for the info.  It was good and correct info and I was able to
42 confirm it as being so.  Maybe that will help someone else in the
43 future.  :-D
44
45 Dale
46