From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running gnome on ~amd64?
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 20:16:01
1 On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm asking because gnome is working perfectly on my ~x86 machine
3 > but not on my ~amd64.
4 >
5 > The problem is that gnome-settings-daemon and pulse audio are
6 > crashing during startup, i.e. they appear as defunct processes
7 > once gnome is up and running.
8 >
9 > It's a bit like the bug a few months ago where the "gnome-settings-
10 > daemon restarted too many times" error message popped up, but this
11 > time there are no error messages anywhere.
12 >
13 > Another odd thing is that I can't use Ctrl-C to kill any processes
14 > that I start from an xterm.
15 >
16 > Anyone else having similar problems?
17 >
18 > Thanks.
19
20 I had the same problem. In my case it was caused by
21 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.35 and changing to a different version
22 fixed it. Maybe you should check to see if you are using this version,
23 or try a different version (older/newer)... if you're not using
24 nvidia-drviers at all, then I have no idea what to say except "good
25 luck" :)