From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:09:14
1 Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 13:03:15 schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Paul Hartman
4 > >
5 > > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
7 wrote:
8 > >>> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
9 > >>> got away with it before.
10 > >>
11 > >> The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
12 > >> cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
13 > >> the end of that.
14 > >>
15 > >> Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
16 > >> wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
17 > >> launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
18 > >> and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
19 > >> floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed. :)
20 > >
21 > > These weren't at the same locale, were they? That sounds like really
22 > > electrical ground.
23 >
24 > *like a really bad electrical ground. (htf?)
25
26 na, it's fine. He grounded the equipment through his body well. Always
27 remember: humans are replaceable. A kick ass TV is not.
28 --
29 #163933