From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:06:56
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
6 >>> got away with it before.
7 >>
8 >> The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
9 >> cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
10 >> the end of that.
11 >>
12 >> Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
13 >> wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
14 >> launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
15 >> and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
16 >> floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed. :)
17 >
18 > These weren't at the same locale, were they? That sounds like really
19 > electrical ground.
20
21 *like a really bad electrical ground. (htf?)
25 :wq