From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:14:51
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Paul Hartman
4 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >>>> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
7 >>>> got away with it before.
8 >>>
9 >>> The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
10 >>> cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
11 >>> the end of that.
12 >>>
13 >>> Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
14 >>> wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
15 >>> launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
16 >>> and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
17 >>> floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed. :)
18 >>
19 >> These weren't at the same locale, were they? That sounds like really
20 >> electrical ground.
21 >
22 > *like a really bad electrical ground. (htf?)
23
24 The ethernet incident happened at work, which should be grounded,
25 however it was in a cubicle... a cubicle that would give you the
26 tingles if you touched its metallic edges.
27
28 The TV was at my parents' house in the 1980's, an old home that
29 certainly does not have grounded electrical outlets. Plus I was
30 probably scooting around tall carpet in socks or something prior to
31 it. :)