From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:05:44
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
5 >> got away with it before.
6 >
7 > The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
8 > cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
9 > the end of that.
10 >
11 > Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
12 > wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
13 > launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
14 > and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
15 > floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed. :)
16
17 These weren't at the same locale, were they? That sounds like really
18 electrical ground.
21 :wq