From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:19:33
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
3 > got away with it before.
4
5 The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
6 cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
7 the end of that.
8
9 Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
10 wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
11 launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
12 and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
13 floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed. :)