From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mixing predictable with old style network interface naming
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 19:45:23
1 2017-07-06 13:07 GMT-03:00 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Hi, All.
5 > >
6 > > This is a bit odd, because of a non conventional hardware platform:
7 > Odroid
8 > > (Hardkernel).
9 > >
10 > > But I guess overall rules apply to all.
11 > >
12 > > I need a second network interface, the original and single one present on
13 > > the board is to be connected to a GigE camera, so I use a USB/ethernet
14 > > adapter to have SSH remote access.
15 > >
16 > > I have set up the boot manager so that network interfaces would be named
17 > > according to the predictable names rules. If not, the USB/eth adapter
18 > gets
19 > > "eth0" if the device is present at boot, otherwise, it is "eth1".
20 > >
21 > > But if I disconnect the USB/ethernet adapter to leave the system alone,
22 > and
23 > > after a while I need to take a look on what's going on and plug back the
24 > > USB/ethernet adapter, it comes up as "eth0" again.
25 > >
26 > > Anyone could give me a hint on where to look at it? Why the new
27 > interface
28 > > is named in a way during boot and another during normal use?
29 > >
30 > > Thank you!
31 >
32 > Your question doesn't seem to involve any mixing of the naming schemes
33 > at all, and it looks like the kernel you are using simply uses the old
34 > style names. Can you compile your own kernel which supports the new
35 > naming convention, remove net.ifnames=0 from the kernel command line
36 > if it is present, or check for udev rules that perform naming that
37 > overrides the default? You may wish to refer to
38 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Networking/
39 > Advanced#Network_interface_naming
40 > though it is not very information dense.
41 >
42 > Unfortunately my experience with hardkernel devices is that the
43 > developers put most of their effort behind the Android release and
44 > will make an Ubuntu release, if it exists, barely work. I would
45 > strongly recommend not buying their devices. They barely support them
46 > and without their help the devices are unsupportable.
47 >
48 > R0b0t1.
52 Thanks for the tip. I've checked in /etc/udev files and directories, and
53 there is no rule for naming interfaces.
54
55 Instead of removing "net.ifnames=0" from the kernel command line, I have
56 altered it to "net.ifnames=1". Gonna try removing it at once.
57
58 But, imho, Odroid is a good hardware, and I have learned a lot about Linux
59 - not Android - in their Odroid magazine. And their Ubuntu image works very
60 good. And, as always, there are a lot of guys in the community.
61
62 Thank you!
63 Francisco