From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mixing predictable with old style network interface naming
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 16:07:37
1 On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi, All.
3 >
4 > This is a bit odd, because of a non conventional hardware platform: Odroid
5 > (Hardkernel).
6 >
7 > But I guess overall rules apply to all.
8 >
9 > I need a second network interface, the original and single one present on
10 > the board is to be connected to a GigE camera, so I use a USB/ethernet
11 > adapter to have SSH remote access.
12 >
13 > I have set up the boot manager so that network interfaces would be named
14 > according to the predictable names rules. If not, the USB/eth adapter gets
15 > "eth0" if the device is present at boot, otherwise, it is "eth1".
16 >
17 > But if I disconnect the USB/ethernet adapter to leave the system alone, and
18 > after a while I need to take a look on what's going on and plug back the
19 > USB/ethernet adapter, it comes up as "eth0" again.
20 >
21 > Anyone could give me a hint on where to look at it? Why the new interface
22 > is named in a way during boot and another during normal use?
23 >
24 > Thank you!
25
26 Your question doesn't seem to involve any mixing of the naming schemes
27 at all, and it looks like the kernel you are using simply uses the old
28 style names. Can you compile your own kernel which supports the new
29 naming convention, remove net.ifnames=0 from the kernel command line
30 if it is present, or check for udev rules that perform naming that
31 overrides the default? You may wish to refer to
32 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Networking/Advanced#Network_interface_naming
33 though it is not very information dense.
34
35 Unfortunately my experience with hardkernel devices is that the
36 developers put most of their effort behind the Android release and
37 will make an Ubuntu release, if it exists, barely work. I would
38 strongly recommend not buying their devices. They barely support them
39 and without their help the devices are unsupportable.
40
41 R0b0t1.