From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it safe to change the start of the first partition?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 07:44:13
1 On 07/03/2012 09:25:20 AM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 03.07.2012 09:09, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > modern fdisk puts the first partition at block 63 while older
9 > > version have put it at block 1.
10 > >
11 > > Now, I'm going to upgrade an older system. Is it safe to
12 > > repartition it by letting the first partition start 63 and
13 > > shortening the first partition by 62 blocks?
14 > >
15 > > (I will loose the first partition which doesn't matter in my
16 > > case.)
17 > >
18 > > Many thanks for sharing your experience, Helmut.
21 > Do you want to resize the partition or do you want to delete and
22 > recreate it?
23 >
24 > The second option is no problem, the first could lead to some data
25 > loss (if you are unlucky).
26
27 I'd like to delete and recreate ONLY the first partition (which is
28 small).
29 The question is, can I keep the other partitions.
30
31 As far as I remember, I once deleted the extended partition and tried
32 to recreate
33 logical partitions "at the same place". But that didn't work.
34
35 Helmut.