From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it safe to change the start of the first partition?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 07:54:02
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 03.07.2012 09:42, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
5 > On 07/03/2012 09:25:20 AM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
7 >>
8 >> On 03.07.2012 09:09, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
9 >>> Hi,
10 >>>
11 >>> modern fdisk puts the first partition at block 63 while older
12 >>> version have put it at block 1.
13 >>>
14 >>> Now, I'm going to upgrade an older system. Is it safe to
15 >>> repartition it by letting the first partition start 63 and
16 >>> shortening the first partition by 62 blocks?
17 >>>
18 >>> (I will loose the first partition which doesn't matter in my
19 >>> case.)
20 >>>
21 >>> Many thanks for sharing your experience, Helmut.
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> Do you want to resize the partition or do you want to delete and
25 >> recreate it?
26 >>
27 >> The second option is no problem, the first could lead to some
28 >> data loss (if you are unlucky).
29 >
30 > I'd like to delete and recreate ONLY the first partition (which is
31 > small). The question is, can I keep the other partitions.
32 >
33 > As far as I remember, I once deleted the extended partition and
34 > tried to recreate logical partitions "at the same place". But that
35 > didn't work.
36 >
37 > Helmut.
41 If the first partition is a primary partition it's no issue. If it is
42 inside a extended partion it gets tricky, because the extended
43 partition acts like a kind of container.
44
45 - From your description I guess it's a boot partition, which normally is
46 a primary one. In that case just delete it and recreate it afterwards.
47
48 Note: you may need to reinstall you bootloader afterwards (due to the
49 changed partition data) and don't forget to toggle the bootable flag
50 for that partition.
51
52 If it's an extended partition I fear that my experience doesn't
53 suffice to give you qualifield hints as I try to avoid them.