From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Shouldn't grub setup overwrite lilo in MBR
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:29:47
1 I thought I'd try once more to get grub working in my prefered
2 resolution. I've been able to get what I want with lilo right along.
3
4 I just assumed grub would overwrite lilo code in the MBR but I'm
5 finding it does not. It cripples lilo boot so that it doesn't work
6 but I still get the dreaded ..`Li..' hang on boot.
7
8 Just for the record, shouldn't grub setup (hd0,0) overwrite any other
9 code in MBR? If it does not what does it mean?
10
11 Grub would show a failure if it did not find /boot/grub and the files
12 under there when setup is run so it seems to succeed. I'm sure lilo
13 is aimed at hda as well and can see it in lilo.conf, further if it
14 were running from another parition it wouldn't get crippled from
15 running grub against hda... right?
16
17 So I guess I need to zero out the mbr somehow. I faintly remember
18 some dd syntax involving 0 (zero) but can't find it now to refresh my
19 memory.
20
21 dd if=/?? of=?? -b 512? with the right stuff in there can clean the
22 mbr right?
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list