From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shouldn't grub setup overwrite lilo in MBR
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:26:51
1 On 12/20/05, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I thought I'd try once more to get grub working in my prefered
3 > resolution. I've been able to get what I want with lilo right along.
4 >
5 > I just assumed grub would overwrite lilo code in the MBR but I'm
6 > finding it does not. It cripples lilo boot so that it doesn't work
7 > but I still get the dreaded ..`Li..' hang on boot.
8 >
9 > Just for the record, shouldn't grub setup (hd0,0) overwrite any other
10 > code in MBR? If it does not what does it mean?
11
12 No, it says to install the boot code into the first partition of the
13 disk, not the mbr. This would be useful if you use a microsoft mbr
14 (fdisk /mbr, or fixboot from a recovery console), which looks for the
15 'active' partition to determine which OS to load.
16
17 You want "setup (hd0)"
18
19 -Richard