From: Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] newbie partiton type question
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 06:07:06
1 Martin S wrote:
2 > (snip)
3 >
4 > I can mount /dev/usb as root and r/w to it. But as user I get
5 >
6 > martoni@SuicidalPuppy ~ $ mount /mnt/usb
7 > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
8 > missing codepage or other error
9 > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
10 > dmesg | tail or so
11 >
12 > And dmesg | tail says
13 > ...
14 > FAT: invalid media value (0x01)
15 > VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
16 >
17 > So where am I going wrong? Please help this befuddled temporary newbie.
18 >
19 > (snip)
20
21 Try changing the permissions of /dev/sda*.. I suggest you do a
22
23 chmod 0666 /dev/sda*
24
25 and then try to mount it.. If it succeeds then change the ownership to
26 group disk
27
28 chown root:disk /dev/sda*
29
30 and the permissions to 660 (rw/rw)
31
32 chmod 0660 /dev/sda*
33
34 I'm not sure whether this will help but it's worth giving a try..
35
36 Farhan Ahmed
37 --
38 Place : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
39 GPG Key : 8BE90E98
40 WengoPhone ID : farhanahmed
41 IRC Nick : farhanahmed / farhanahmed06 (irc.freenode.net)