From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel Oops! with new xorg
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 13:08:42
1 2009/6/2 John <john@×××××××××××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 16:16:09 +0000 (UTC)
3 > James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
8 >> > I have come across this debilitating affliction which means that I
9 >> > can no longer shutdown properly my laptop.  It looks as if the
10 >> > kernel crashes when xorg is trying to unload the radeon driver -
11 >> > but I am not sure - please see attached pic.
12 >>
13 >> Hello Mick,
16 >> I have a similar problem on a workstation. When I use the KDE4 menu
17 >> to exit, the system seems to halt, but the mobo is still powered up.
18 >> Upon reboot reiserfs fixes itself (hard reset). If I
19 >> use "shutdown -h now" all is fine. Otherwise the system is fine.
22 >> I just assumed it was a kde4 problem, but, I have not drilled down
23 >> further to locate the exact problem source.  Between needing to
24 >> reduce or eliminate xorg.conf and evdev, hal , kde4 and new kernels,
25 >> I've definitely missed the boat..... as I manage dozens of gentoo
26 >> boxes.....
27 >>
28 >> Anyway, I'll track it down eventually. Here's my info, in case it
29 >> is similar to yours and hopefully helps you find the problem:
30 >>
31 >> kernel: 2.6.28-gentoo-r5
32 >>
33 >> x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r6(20:59:56 05/25/09)((hal
34 >> input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse
35 >> input_devices_synaptics nptl sdl video_cards_radeon xorg
36 >>
37 >> and from make.conf:
38 >> VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev fglrx vesa"
39 >> INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse joystick evdev"
42 >> I did switch the system from the radeon driver to
43 >> x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.5.9.3
44 >>
45 >> I noticed my "radeon" entry in my xorg-server flags..(problem)...?
46 >>
47 >> I'm not sure my problem is related to your, I hope
48 >> posting here helps you solve your problem. Once yours
49 >> is solved, it might give me feedback as to where to
50 >> begin my search...
53 >> HTH,
54 >> James
59 > Also having a similar issue with xfce4. When using shutdown -h now in
60 > command line, there is no response from machine. When shutting down
61 > using xfce4 icon machines returns to login screen. No messages are
62 > produced in system log other than shutdown.
63 >
64 > I use nvidia-drivers on my laptop and have had no problem
65 > until upgrading to latest kernel 2.6.29-gentoo-r5. Assume I am missing
66 > something in kernel config but everything else works ok.
67 >
68 > Init 0 does nothing either so maybe there is a clue there
71 > John D Maunder
72 > john@××××××××××××××××××.uk
73
74 Guys, I'm not sure we have the same problem. If I exit xorg and go to
75 a console, then the shutdown command works fine.
76
77 My problem seems to be xorg/kernel related. I suspect IRQ management
78 by the new kernel and have been squeezing my brain to remember if I
79 enabled any modules dealing with IRQ, but can't recall.
80
81 I haven't yet built a vanilla kernel to compare.
82 --
83 Regards,
84 Mick