From: John <john@×××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel Oops! with new xorg
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:08:41
1 On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 16:16:09 +0000 (UTC)
2 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
7 > > I have come across this debilitating affliction which means that I
8 > > can no longer shutdown properly my laptop. It looks as if the
9 > > kernel crashes when xorg is trying to unload the radeon driver -
10 > > but I am not sure - please see attached pic.
11 >
12 > Hello Mick,
15 > I have a similar problem on a workstation. When I use the KDE4 menu
16 > to exit, the system seems to halt, but the mobo is still powered up.
17 > Upon reboot reiserfs fixes itself (hard reset). If I
18 > use "shutdown -h now" all is fine. Otherwise the system is fine.
21 > I just assumed it was a kde4 problem, but, I have not drilled down
22 > further to locate the exact problem source. Between needing to
23 > reduce or eliminate xorg.conf and evdev, hal , kde4 and new kernels,
24 > I've definitely missed the boat..... as I manage dozens of gentoo
25 > boxes.....
26 >
27 > Anyway, I'll track it down eventually. Here's my info, in case it
28 > is similar to yours and hopefully helps you find the problem:
29 >
30 > kernel: 2.6.28-gentoo-r5
31 >
32 > x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r6(20:59:56 05/25/09)((hal
33 > input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse
34 > input_devices_synaptics nptl sdl video_cards_radeon xorg
35 >
36 > and from make.conf:
37 > VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev fglrx vesa"
38 > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse joystick evdev"
41 > I did switch the system from the radeon driver to
42 > x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.5.9.3
43 >
44 > I noticed my "radeon" entry in my xorg-server flags..(problem)...?
45 >
46 > I'm not sure my problem is related to your, I hope
47 > posting here helps you solve your problem. Once yours
48 > is solved, it might give me feedback as to where to
49 > begin my search...
52 > HTH,
53 > James
58 Also having a similar issue with xfce4. When using shutdown -h now in
59 command line, there is no response from machine. When shutting down
60 using xfce4 icon machines returns to login screen. No messages are
61 produced in system log other than shutdown.
62
63 I use nvidia-drivers on my laptop and have had no problem
64 until upgrading to latest kernel 2.6.29-gentoo-r5. Assume I am missing
65 something in kernel config but everything else works ok.
66
67 Init 0 does nothing either so maybe there is a clue there
70 John D Maunder