From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Waaay OT] Defrag tool for windoze
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:05:03
1 On Tuesday 16 November 2010 10:53:28 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld writes:
3 > > On Tuesday 16 November 2010 03:33:19 Dale wrote:
4 > > > That's not doable here tho. This is a Linux only house. My nieces
5 > > > puter is the only puter in the house with windoze on it and it is
6 > > > just visiting. It does have NTFS so I am sort of chicken to hook it
7 > > > up to my Linux box. It would be just my luck that it screwed up
8 > > > something. I would mount it read only to save data but scared to do
9 > > > any writing to it.
10 > >
11 > > emerge sys-fs/ntfs3g
12 > >
13 > > I use it to read and write from/to NTFS drives without problems. The
14 > > in-kernel one appears to be ok as well.
15 >
16 > Doesn't the in-kernel one have only very basic write support? Like,
17 > modifying files only if the size stays the same?
18
19 Not sure, I'm running current kernels (2.6.30+) and have on occasion
20 accidentally used the ink-kernel one and then copied file around.
21 I didn't loose any data with that.
22
23 but I agree, ntfs-3g seems to be the more reliable one for this.
24
25 > > > I did reboot that thing. It does boot and it boots a lot faster now.
26 > > > It appears it was fragmented pretty badly. The error messages about
27 > > > software that used to pop up don't pop up when it boots now either.
28 > > > Maybe AVG did clean out some stuff. I'm not holding my breath but
29 > > > maybe it will last the kids a little while at least.
30 > >
31 > > It should, but just in case, take a backup of the whole drive (dd
32 > > if=/dev/kidsdrive of=/backupofkidsdrive)
33 > >
34 > > That way you can always restore it quickly for them ;)
35 >
36 > There is also the ntfsclone command in sys-fs/ntfsprogs.
37
38 True, except that I was thinking of backup up the whole drive, including the
39 boot-sector. It's a bigger backup, but I have never had a stable system after
40 just restoring the filesystem for a MS Windows system.
41 Not sure if this has improved with current systems, but last time I tried it,
42 it didn't work.
45 Joost