From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Waaay OT] Defrag tool for windoze
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:53:52
1 J. Roeleveld writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday 16 November 2010 03:33:19 Dale wrote:
4
5 > > That's not doable here tho. This is a Linux only house. My nieces
6 > > puter is the only puter in the house with windoze on it and it is
7 > > just visiting. It does have NTFS so I am sort of chicken to hook it
8 > > up to my Linux box. It would be just my luck that it screwed up
9 > > something. I would mount it read only to save data but scared to do
10 > > any writing to it.
11 >
12 > emerge sys-fs/ntfs3g
13 >
14 > I use it to read and write from/to NTFS drives without problems. The
15 > in-kernel one appears to be ok as well.
16
17 Doesn't the in-kernel one have only very basic write support? Like,
18 modifying files only if the size stays the same?
19
20 > > I did reboot that thing. It does boot and it boots a lot faster now.
21 > > It appears it was fragmented pretty badly. The error messages about
22 > > software that used to pop up don't pop up when it boots now either.
23 > > Maybe AVG did clean out some stuff. I'm not holding my breath but
24 > > maybe it will last the kids a little while at least.
25 >
26 > It should, but just in case, take a backup of the whole drive (dd
27 > if=/dev/kidsdrive of=/backupofkidsdrive)
28 >
29 > That way you can always restore it quickly for them ;)
30
31 There is also the ntfsclone command in sys-fs/ntfsprogs.
32
33 Wonko