From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Waaay OT] Defrag tool for windoze
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:16:52
1 On Tuesday 16 November 2010 03:33:19 Dale wrote:
2 > Adam Carter wrote:
3 > > > One post mentioned that this needs to be reinstalled, I AGREE.
4 > >
5 > > Re installation may be *correct*, but sometimes its impractical. I would
6 > > 1. Pull the drive, and connect it to another fully patched, fully
7 > > security updated windows box.
8 > > 2. From that box run chkdsk -> full virus scan -> defrag
9 > > 3. Reconnect the disk to the original box, and boot from the windows
10 > > install disk and perform a repair. Use an installation disk that has
11 > > been slipstreamed with the correct service pack. You should be able to
12 > > find the media - just remember that OEM media is different to
13 > > standard media.
14 > > 4. Uninstall all the crap.... (check Run registry keys)
15 >
16 > That's not doable here tho. This is a Linux only house. My nieces
17 > puter is the only puter in the house with windoze on it and it is just
18 > visiting. It does have NTFS so I am sort of chicken to hook it up to my
19 > Linux box. It would be just my luck that it screwed up something. I
20 > would mount it read only to save data but scared to do any writing to it.
21
22 emerge sys-fs/ntfs3g
23
24 I use it to read and write from/to NTFS drives without problems. The in-kernel
25 one appears to be ok as well.
26
27 > I did reboot that thing. It does boot and it boots a lot faster now.
28 > It appears it was fragmented pretty badly. The error messages about
29 > software that used to pop up don't pop up when it boots now either.
30 > Maybe AVG did clean out some stuff. I'm not holding my breath but maybe
31 > it will last the kids a little while at least.
32
33 It should, but just in case, take a backup of the whole drive (dd
34 if=/dev/kidsdrive of=/backupofkidsdrive)
35
36 That way you can always restore it quickly for them ;)
37
38 > For a Linux list, I sure am getting a lot of good ideas on windoze. O_O
39
40 Linux users (especially on this list) are generally quite clued up about
41 computers. The downside of having that knowledge is that relatives tend to
42 come to us if they need help.
43
44 At my home, the only MS Windows machine is the work laptop of my partner.
45 For the rest, it's either Linux or Solaris :)
48 Joost