From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Waaay OT] Defrag tool for windoze
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 02:34:41
1 Adam Carter wrote:
2 >
3 > > One post mentioned that this needs to be reinstalled, I AGREE.
6 > Re installation may be *correct*, but sometimes its impractical. I would
7 > 1. Pull the drive, and connect it to another fully patched, fully
8 > security updated windows box.
9 > 2. From that box run chkdsk -> full virus scan -> defrag
10 > 3. Reconnect the disk to the original box, and boot from the windows
11 > install disk and perform a repair. Use an installation disk that has
12 > been slipstreamed with the correct service pack. You should be able to
13 > find the media - just remember that OEM media is different to
14 > standard media.
15 > 4. Uninstall all the crap.... (check Run registry keys)
19 That's not doable here tho. This is a Linux only house. My nieces
20 puter is the only puter in the house with windoze on it and it is just
21 visiting. It does have NTFS so I am sort of chicken to hook it up to my
22 Linux box. It would be just my luck that it screwed up something. I
23 would mount it read only to save data but scared to do any writing to it.
24
25 I do wish I could do what I want to with it tho. It's not a bad
26 machine. 3.2GHz CPU with a little over a Gig of ram and about a 60Gb
27 hard drive. It would run Linux sweetly.
28
29 I did reboot that thing. It does boot and it boots a lot faster now.
30 It appears it was fragmented pretty badly. The error messages about
31 software that used to pop up don't pop up when it boots now either.
32 Maybe AVG did clean out some stuff. I'm not holding my breath but maybe
33 it will last the kids a little while at least.
34
35 For a Linux list, I sure am getting a lot of good ideas on windoze. O_O
36
37 Dale
38