From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fwd:How about the gentoo server or cluster in production environment?
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 08:28:47
1 On 21/02/2014 16:15, hasufell wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon:
3 >> On 20/02/2014 22:41, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:52:07PM +0400, Andrew Savchenko
5 >>> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> And this point is one of the highest security benefits in real
8 >>>> world: one have non-standard binaries, not available in the
9 >>>> wild. Most exploits will fail on such binaries even if
10 >>>> vulnerability is still there.
11 >>>
12 >>> While excluding few security issues by compiling less code is
13 >>> possible, believing that "non-standard binaries" (in the sense of
14 >>> "compiled for with local compilation flags") gives more security
15 >>> is a dangerous dream.
16 >>>
19 >> +1
20 >
21 >> "non-standard binaries" is really just a special form of security
22 >> by obscurity.
23 >
24 > So you are saying compiling a minimal kernel to minimize exposure to
25 > subsystem bugs is only obscurity? (I really wonder what Greg would say
26 > to this)
27
28 No, I'm saying that I pay RedHat large sums of money to look after this
29 on my behalf and that money is wasted if I build a custom kernel on that
30 machine.
31
32 RedHat has a vested interest in doing this right (it's the product they
33 sell) and they have more engineering resources to apply to the problem
34 than I can ever raise. The odds favour RedHat often getting this right
35 and me often getting it wrong, simply because I don't have the unit
36 testing facilities required and my employer doesn't employ OS builders.
37
38 I won't permit Gentoo to be used in production here for precisely that
39 reason - I can't provide the test guarantees the business and
40 shareholders demand.
43 > The argument that this particular setup may be less tested is a valid
44 > one. But less tested also means less commonly known exploits and
45 > testing these setups is a win-win for users and upstream.
46 >
47 > Whether you like it or not... whenever you install software on a
48 > server, you become a tester at the same point.
49
50 Proper testing carries a onerous burden. I've yet to find a enterprise
51 anywhere in the world that does it right outside of their core business.
52 Instead, they pay someone else to do it.
55 Alan McKinnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com