From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:15:23
1 Daniel Troeder wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2008, 01:59 -0600 schrieb Dale:
5 >> I'm not to worried about this since I will be moving this over to the
6 >> other drive anyway. I would like to know what command I should use to
7 >> tar up everything, transfer it over and untar it all on one line if
8 >> possible? I plan to do this while booted from a Gentoo CD. I just want
9 >> to try this so that it will be compressed then transfered and untared
10 >> once on the way. Does this make since? I have used cp -av in the past.
11 >>
12 >> Thanks.
13 >>
14 >> Dale
15 >>
16 >> :-) :-)
17 >>
18 > With "transfer" do you mean over a network, or to another local drive?
19 >
20 > You can of course use something like
21 > # tar czpf - | ssh remote - tar xzpf -C /dir
22 > (above probably not syntactically correct), but there are faster and
23 > easier options:
24 >
25 > "cp -a" costs little resources locally and maintains POSIX permissions,
26 > while "rsync -aASH --numeric-ids" is perfect for remote copy.
27 >
28 > You can use rsync also locally. It will (with the "-A" switch) also
29 > transfer POSIX-ACLs, if that is of any concern. It is also useful, if a
30 > transfer breaks at some moment, because it will kind of continue it :)
31 >
32 > Omiting the "-v" switch can significantly speed up things - depends on
33 > your terminal. In every case it helps to only see the errors, and not
34 > let them scroll away by everything that went well.
35 >
36 > Bye,
37 > Daniel
41 The drive is in the same machine so there is no network involved.
42 Should help make it a little more simple. Would this work?
43
44 tar czpf - | tar xzpf -C /dir
45
46 Basically, I want as clean a file system as I can get to start off with
47 at least. Goal is very little fragmentation.
48
49 Thanks
50
51 Dale