From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:32:06
1 Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2008, 03:15 -0600 schrieb Dale:
2 > Daniel Troeder wrote:
3 > > Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2008, 01:59 -0600 schrieb Dale:
4 > >
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm not to worried about this since I will be moving this over to the
7 > >> other drive anyway. I would like to know what command I should use to
8 > >> tar up everything, transfer it over and untar it all on one line if
9 > >> possible? I plan to do this while booted from a Gentoo CD. I just want
10 > >> to try this so that it will be compressed then transfered and untared
11 > >> once on the way. Does this make since? I have used cp -av in the past.
12 > >>
13 > >> Thanks.
14 > >>
15 > >> Dale
16 > >>
17 > >> :-) :-)
18 > >>
19 > > With "transfer" do you mean over a network, or to another local drive?
20 > >
21 > > You can of course use something like
22 > > # tar czpf - | ssh remote - tar xzpf -C /dir
23 > > (above probably not syntactically correct), but there are faster and
24 > > easier options:
25 > >
26 > > "cp -a" costs little resources locally and maintains POSIX permissions,
27 > > while "rsync -aASH --numeric-ids" is perfect for remote copy.
28 > >
29 > > You can use rsync also locally. It will (with the "-A" switch) also
30 > > transfer POSIX-ACLs, if that is of any concern. It is also useful, if a
31 > > transfer breaks at some moment, because it will kind of continue it :)
32 > >
33 > > Omiting the "-v" switch can significantly speed up things - depends on
34 > > your terminal. In every case it helps to only see the errors, and not
35 > > let them scroll away by everything that went well.
36 > >
37 > > Bye,
38 > > Daniel
42 > The drive is in the same machine so there is no network involved.
43 > Should help make it a little more simple. Would this work?
44 >
45 > tar czpf - | tar xzpf -C /dir
46 >
47 > Basically, I want as clean a file system as I can get to start off with
48 > at least. Goal is very little fragmentation.
49 >
50 > Thanks
51 >
52 > Dale
53 While this will work perfectly well, this command is a waste of
54 resources. The compression ("-z") makes locally no sense, and there is
55 no need to tar the data (which will basically just concat files). You
56 will get the exact same result with
57 # cp -a /source /dest
58
59 If the FS has been formatted before, no fragmentation should occur in
60 every scenario, as long as no parallelism is used while copying, because
61 each file will be created and filled with data one after another.
62
63 Bye,
64 Daniel