From: dexter <dexters84@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba basics
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:16:23
1 Mick pisze:
2 > Thanks Stroller,
3 >
4 > On Thursday 22 November 2007, Stroller wrote:
5 >
6 >> On 22 Nov 2007, at 08:43, Mick wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> ...
9 >>>
12 >> My experience is that stuff like this is not completely-obvious-to-
13 >> newcomers in Samba, and I wouldn't rely on it working just like you
14 >> might expect.
17 > Hmm, I know what you mean! :)
20 >> You might consider posting on the Samba mailing lists,
21 >> which are quite busy.
24 > Thanks, I'll look into it.
27 >>> The Windows file manager still displays the
28 >>> (Linux) user home directory and a file called printers. Is there a
29 >>> way of
30 >>> removing these two items from the Windows client view?
31 >>>
32 >> The easy way to do this is to remove the [homes] & [printers]
33 >> sections of your smb.conf (NOT smb.cfg, on my system), but of course
34 >> that also prevents access to them.
37 > Is there a way to do this selectively for different users? Some cannot be
38 > trusted to even look after their own linux home directories and leaving them
39 > visible will give rise to unnecessary queries.
42 I remember that there is an option to include selective config files
43 based on conditions - it's been some time since my last samba
44 installation (a complex one) but it looked something like this
45
46 include /etc/samba/<hostname>.cfg
47
48 It's just of the to of my head, but You should get the idea, in the
49 example above, if a host with certain <hostname> was connecting to samba
50 server, a specific file was included.
51 Unfortunatelly I don't remeber exact syntax, and tons of other things -
52 I just suggest looking in this direction
53
54 regards
55 dexter
56 --