From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba basics
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:53:52
1 Thanks Stroller,
2
3 On Thursday 22 November 2007, Stroller wrote:
4 > On 22 Nov 2007, at 08:43, Mick wrote:
5 > > ...
6
7 > My experience is that stuff like this is not completely-obvious-to-
8 > newcomers in Samba, and I wouldn't rely on it working just like you
9 > might expect.
10
11 Hmm, I know what you mean! :)
12
13 > You might consider posting on the Samba mailing lists,
14 > which are quite busy.
15
16 Thanks, I'll look into it.
17
18 > > The Windows file manager still displays the
19 > > (Linux) user home directory and a file called printers. Is there a
20 > > way of
21 > > removing these two items from the Windows client view?
22 >
23 > The easy way to do this is to remove the [homes] & [printers]
24 > sections of your smb.conf (NOT smb.cfg, on my system), but of course
25 > that also prevents access to them.
26
27 Is there a way to do this selectively for different users? Some cannot be
28 trusted to even look after their own linux home directories and leaving them
29 visible will give rise to unnecessary queries.
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick