From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba basics
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:12:56
1 On Nov 22, 2007 2:46 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Thanks Stroller,
3 >
4 > On Thursday 22 November 2007, Stroller wrote:
5 > > On 22 Nov 2007, at 08:43, Mick wrote:
6 > > > ...
7 >
8 > > My experience is that stuff like this is not completely-obvious-to-
9 > > newcomers in Samba, and I wouldn't rely on it working just like you
10 > > might expect.
11 >
12 > Hmm, I know what you mean! :)
13 >
14 > > You might consider posting on the Samba mailing lists,
15 > > which are quite busy.
16 >
17 > Thanks, I'll look into it.
18 >
19 > > > The Windows file manager still displays the
20 > > > (Linux) user home directory and a file called printers. Is there a
21 > > > way of
22 > > > removing these two items from the Windows client view?
23 > >
24 > > The easy way to do this is to remove the [homes] & [printers]
25 > > sections of your smb.conf (NOT smb.cfg, on my system), but of course
26 > > that also prevents access to them.
27 >
28 > Is there a way to do this selectively for different users? Some cannot be
29 > trusted to even look after their own linux home directories and leaving them
30 > visible will give rise to unnecessary queries.
31
32 What I'll suggest is not directly related to your Samba config
33 problem. It is something I found very useful while setting up my own
34 samba server. I guess there's even a USE flag for it. Its SWAT, its a
35 web based management program to control Samba settings. It is very
36 useful and user-friendly.
37
38 You should give it a try.
41 Daniel da Veiga
42
43 Filosofia de TI: Programadores de verdade consideram o conceito "o que
44 você vê é o que você tem" tão ruim em editores de texto quanto em
45 mulheres. Não, o programador de verdade quer um editor de texto do
46 estilo "você pediu, você levou" - complicado, indecifrável, poderoso,
47 impiedoso, perigoso.
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list