From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba basics
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:35:54
1 On 22 Nov 2007, at 08:43, Mick wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I have set up a Samba server for a small office and used
4 > 'browseable No'
5 > extensively in the smb.cfg file, to remove a lot of otherwise
6 > visible to the
7 > Windows clients directories.
8
9 My experience is that stuff like this is not completely-obvious-to-
10 newcomers in Samba, and I wouldn't rely on it working just like you
11 might expect. You might consider posting on the Samba mailing lists,
12 which are quite busy.
13
14 > The Windows file manager still displays the
15 > (Linux) user home directory and a file called printers. Is there a
16 > way of
17 > removing these two items from the Windows client view?
18
19 The easy way to do this is to remove the [homes] & [printers]
20 sections of your smb.conf (NOT smb.cfg, on my system), but of course
21 that also prevents access to them.
22
23 Stroller
24 --