From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browser have problems with illegal characters
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 08:12:16
1 Hello,
2
3 On Wed, 25 Nov 2020, Jack wrote:
4 [..]
5 >Found it. It is "middle dot" U+00B7 which in UTF-8 two bytes of octal 302
6 >267 or hex C2 8E.
7 >
8 >Also, now that I look at the page source, I see "<title>Introduction to
9 >Metaprogramming in Nim &middot; HookRace Blog</title>" so I do wonder if it
10 >is something funny with the character coding with iso88591. In fact, it does
11 >look like that unicode point it NOT available in iso88591. I wonder what the
12 >proper fall-back should be in such a case.
13
14 It is available, but it seems the locale is not used for encoding
15 filenames.
16
17 ==== man 7 latin1 ====
18 Oct Dec Hex Char Description
19 267 183 B7 · MIDDLE DOT
20 ====
21
22 -dnh
25 >> This needs quotes:
26 >> use lib "/path/to/perl/modules";
27 > Single or double quotes?
28 Yes. -- Tad McClellan in comp.lang.perl.misc