From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browser have problems with illegal characters
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 18:31:21
1 On 2020.11.25 13:08, Jack wrote:
2 > On 2020.11.25 07:24, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> if I try to save a web page containing an illegal character (like
6 >> hookrace.net/blog/introduction-to-metaprogramming-in-nim/)
7 >> several browser show an error (attached image) and cannot recover
8 >> from it. I have no chance to change the filename.
9 >> I have to 'xkill' it
10 >>
11 >> What can I do about this?
12 >>
13 >> (My locale is en_US.iso88591)
14 >>
15 >> Many thanks for a hint,
16 >> Helmut
17 > Both Firefox and Chromium (KDE) save for me with no complaints, and
18 > "ls -b" calls that character 302 267, which shows up as a vertically
19 > centered dot, but I haven't figured out exactly what character it
20 > is. I have en_US.UTF-8.
21 Found it. It is "middle dot" U+00B7 which in UTF-8 two bytes of octal
22 302 267 or hex C2 8E.
23
24 Also, now that I look at the page source, I see "<title>Introduction
25 to Metaprogramming in Nim &middot; HookRace Blog</title>" so I do
26 wonder if it is something funny with the character coding with
27 iso88591. In fact, it does look like that unicode point it NOT
28 available in iso88591. I wonder what the proper fall-back should be in
29 such a case.