From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:07:35
1 On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 11/21/2014 2:32 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> As long as there are developers willing and able to support OpenRC in
4 >> Gentoo (and it looks like there are), that will be the case. To make
5 >> sure that this remains to be true, help them.
6 >
7 > This is really an incorrect (and even borderline arrogant) answer...
8
9 You are, of course, wrong. Mine is the correct (and actually the only) answer.
10
11 > To answer the OPs question correctly...
12 >
13 > Since OpenRC is the *default* - for now at least - it is *king*, and
14 > systemd is the red-headed step-child, and as such OpenRC is and will be
15 > 100% fully supported.
16
17 From Rich Freeman in this very thread, who (unlike you or me) is a
18 Gentoo dev, and a member of the council to boot:
19
20 """
21 My (personal) sense is that in the medium-term we may end up moving to
22 not having any default at all, just as with bootloaders, kernels,
23 syslog, crontab, mail, etc. That is pretty-much the Gentoo way
24 everywhere else when there are options.
25
26 As you already pointed out, as long as somebody cares to maintain
27 openrc and write init scripts for it, there will be support for it.
28 """
29
30 > With that in mind, it is also 100% on the *systemd proponents* to make
31 > sure that *systemd* is 'fully supported' as an *alternate* init system.
32
33 And that's exactly what's happening... in Gentoo, GNOME officially
34 supports only systemd, not OpenRC.
35
36 Who is king again?
37
38 > Side-note, unless the nature of systemd changes quite a bit for the
39 > better in the future, if its supporters are ever able to force a change
40 > to it as the default init in gentoo, that will be the day I switch to
41 > FreeBSD.
42
43 You should read:
44
45 http://www.slideshare.net/iXsystems/jordan-hubbard-free-bsd-the-next-10-years
46
47 It's a presentation from a Core FreeBSD developer about the future of
48 FreeBSD. Of particular interest is slide 33:
49
50 """
51 • I'm trying really hard not to suggest launchd here (so I won't)
52
53 • The idea of registering everything up-front with a broker and then
54 letting IPC / timers / HW events start things from there (in cascade
55 fashion) is still the right architecture
56
57 • Even the linux die-hards have essentially grasped the necessity of
58 systemd (even though they're going to hate on it for awhile longer)
59 """
60
61 So, don't be surprised if FreeBSD develops something *really* similar
62 (along the lines of the second bullet) to systemd in the future
63
64 Regards.
65 --
66 Canek Peláez Valdés
67 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias