From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC 4.1.1 Problems
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:20:32
1 Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> said:
2 > Jason Weisberger wrote:
3 >
4 > >I figure upgrading to GCC 4.1.1 from 3.4.5 wouldn't be such a pain,
5 > >right? WRONG.
6 >
7 > Yes, very much so. See my "Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?"
8 > thread.
9
10 Yea, since the soname was the same, I was under the impression that
11 mixing would be fine, and I never ran into a problem. Now that I
12 have unmasked it and more people are testing, I see that people are
13 actually running into issues. So, my mistake. Sorry. If you are doing
14 any upgrade of GCC that is something like 3.3->3.4, or 3.4->4.1,
15 recompiling everything is probably a good first step to ensuring your
16 system will be sane. We try to cut down on work that people will have
17 to do and see if mixed installs will work, but in this case, I was
18 wrong that you would be able to do that.
19
20 > >If these are the type of problems we're going to see with 4.1.1, I
21 > >would have to vote that it stay masked.
22 >
23 > Yep.
24
25 I've yet to see cause for saying this. Moving to a completely new
26 version of gcc, as in 3.x -> 4.x, is a huge move. I think the small
27 amount of problems that we are seeing now is great, and if you are using
28 ~arch, you should expect little bumps in the road. We can only do so
29 much testing in p.mask, and all of the people using it there were
30 telling me that it was working fine for them.
31
32 > > "Testing" isn't even the word
33 > >for this so far. I had to revert back to my 3.4.5 gcc and re-emerge
34 > >system after having too many errors to warrant continuing.
35 >
36 > Hm. But there are people, who ran "emerge -e world" with gcc 4.1.1
37 > and don't have problems. I suppose you'll only have problems, when
38 > you mix 3.x and 4.x.
39
40 Just following the GCC Upgrading Guide [1], and you should be fine.
41 There will always be a few people that run into problems, and there
42 isn't much we can do about that. If you think you found a real bug,
43 please report it, or we can't ever fix it.
44
45 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
48 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
49 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
50 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
51 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
52 http://www.halcy0n.com